What Is JUST Capital?
JUST Capital is a social enterprise, structured as a 501(c)3, that is establishing a new market information platform that aligns corporate behavior with the values of the American public. Our goal is to drive tangible and measurable change in the behavior of companies on the issues Americans care most about.
Why Does JUST Capital Exist?
JUST Capital is developing research and tools that help corporate leaders benchmark their performance against the public’s definition of what a just business looks like. We also give consumers and other stakeholders a voice in how companies should do business and empower them with information on how companies perform on the issues that matter most to them.
How Is JUST Capital Funded?
JUST Capital is an independent non-profit organization that is unaligned from any entity, corporation or corporate interest. The organization is currently funded via grants from private individuals, board members, and foundations who share our vision and want to support our mission.
We do not accept financial donations from companies we analyze and do not engage in any partnerships or commercial activities that create a conflict of interest.
What Services Do We Provide?
JUST Capital is building business intelligence tools and an index of just corporate behavior that allows corporate leaders, consumers, employees, investors, citizens, and policymakers to understand—in an unbiased and transparent way—how corporations are performing against the issues they care most about.
Why Does JUST Capital Poll The American Public?
We believe the American people know what is best for themselves, their families, and their communities. We believe in listening to them.
Why Is JUST Capital A Nonprofit 501(C)(3)?
JUST Capital is a mission-driven organization. We believe that nonprofit status provides the best way to earn the trust of the public and companies alike, and become the preeminent provider of credible and unbiased information on just corporate behavior.
How Does JUST Capital Poll the American Public?
JUST Capital conducts extensive, large-scale and fully representative national polling, research and analysis on everyone’s attitudes and values relating to business behavior, to assess which performance metrics are important to the public.
The first step is to define the American viewpoint on just corporate behavior by capturing the real world attitudes and views of a diverse, comprehensive and fully representative cross-section of all stakeholder groups.
- We apply sophisticated polling, research and survey techniques to not only define the specific characteristics of just business behavior, but also their relative importance in the eyes of all stakeholder groups.
- Our polls include focus groups, telephone interviews, online discussions, and other means, to find out how America defines just corporate behavior.
- We conduct polling and market research continuously, so we stay in touch with the sentiments of Americans on all issues.
- Our focus groups and polling measure the feedback of over 43,000 people in a wide cross section of America, across all geographies, income levels, political persuasion, ethnicity, rural and urban, etc.
We then use this definition of just corporate behavior to assess, evaluate and rank the performance of the largest publicly traded American companies.
- The data we use to measure company performance will come from a variety of public sources, including federal and state regulatory filings, third party research organizations, industry and company reports, NGOs, and multiple other sources. We have a research team dedicated to processing and evaluating all the data we use; ensuring its quality, and seeking new ways to acquire more and better data.
By ranking them on an objective scale, as defined by our national research and tracking performance over time, JUST Capital will be able to provide a new index of corporate performance that reflects justness as defined by all Americans.
- The JUST Index will become the market’s new, standard benchmark of just corporate behavior. It launches in November 30, 2016. The JUST rankings and analysis will allow consumers to track how companies perform on the issues that matter most to them.
How Was JUST Capital Established and Who Was Involved?
JUST Capital was co-founded by a group of concerned people from the world of business, finance, and civil society–including Paul Tudor Jones, Deepak Chopra, Arianna Huffington, Paul Scialla, and others.
These leaders created JUST Capital with the long-term goal of helping to bring about a more just and balanced economy that serves the broader best interests of society. All remain very active in the organization.