We are capitalists committed to stakeholder capitalism.
We believe that business can and must be a greater force for good and that markets must be part of the solution. At $19 trillion, the U.S. private sector is four times the size of government and 40 times the size of private philanthropy. Building a more just economy that better serves the needs of all stakeholders is an essential step in pursuing true prosperity for all, and address our systemic problems at scale.
Restoring trust in capitalism requires us to think differently about how we do business. About how we invest. About how we make decisions, as consumers, as workers, as community members. It invites new ways to talk about, measure, and incentivize business behavior. It demands that we do a better job of aligning how companies, and investors, define success.
JUST Capital is the only independent nonprofit that tracks, analyzes, and engages with large corporations and their investors on how they perform on the public’s priorities. Our research, rankings, indexes, and data-driven tools empower all market participants to help build a more just economy. We are neutral and data-driven – an honest broker working to move the vision of stakeholder capitalism from rhetoric to reality.
Measure What Matters – We poll Americans every year to identify the issues that matter most in defining just business behavior today. We then define metrics that map to those issues and track and analyze the largest, publicly traded U.S. companies. This analysis powers our Rankings and serves as a roadmap for companies.
Power Investments – We drive capital toward more just companies through our JUST Alpha research, investable indexes, the JUST ETF, and by licensing our data.
Shift Expectations & Drive Change – We produce data-driven insights and research and create programmatic initiatives, partnerships, and products to directly encourage and support corporations to adopt business practices that advance a stakeholder model of capitalism.
- Polled 96,000 Americans on their priorities for capitalism and just business behavior since 2015.
- Tracked, analyzed, and ranked 922 companies this year, across five stakeholder groups, 29 Issues, 88 metrics, and over 400 data points.
- Directly engaged over 400 of the largest public U.S. companies on ways to improve their business practices. Over 80% of America’s Most JUST Companies showcase the JUST Seal in recruiting, marketing, and investor relations contexts.
- Demonstrated the business and investor case for just business behavior by releasing over 10 JUST Alpha research reports investigating the correlation between just business behavior and financial performance, and launched the JUST Index and JUST ETF, named Best New ESG ETF of 2018 by ETF.com
- Produced cutting edge research, including a first-of-its-kind analysis of how companies spent their windfall from the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, featured in The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, CNN, and Business Insider.
- Launched programs like the Quality Jobs Initiative, advancing transparency, disclosure and good jobs strategies as well as deepening our research around contract workers and mapping company wages across America.
- Our data-driven insights are frequently featured in top-tier business and financial media, as well as our ongoing media partnerships with Forbes for the JUST 100 Rankings and CNBC for our Quarterly JUST Calls.
A large energy company disclosed for the first time the demographic composition of its workforce, enabling JUST Capital, investors, and the market to begin evaluating the company’s performance on diversity- and inclusion-related issues.
A large hotel company updated and implemented human rights policies and a supplier code of conduct, ensuring just practices up and down its supply chain.
A large national retail company improved its policies on wages for low-wage workers, raising the bar for other companies to meet.
Are you ready to join us?
Stakeholder capitalism will only thrive if more of us make a commitment to consider all stakeholders in our decisions on how we run our companies, where we work, where we invest, and what we buy. Join us in creating a more just economy:
Sign up for our weekly email updates.
Explore our rankings.
Connect with our corporate engagement team to start your journey to justness.